Today I was working with a client to resolve an issue with a jQuery solution we provided several months ago. The solution is a policy and procedures site that makes use of several filtered views with jQuery providing some “enhancements”. The “enhancements” were being handled dynamically with jQuery and the SPServices library by Marc Anderson.
Suddenly, queries that were working would no longer work and users were getting error messages. Once the investigation was underway, we discovered the following error in the XML parsing using Firebug:
I began working with Marc Anderson and the supporters of the SPServices library to troubleshoot the error. After some great suggestions, I opened up the U2U CAML builder and executed my query again. I received the tell-tale error message that proved this error was occurring on the server:
It appears this causes a server side parsing error that cannot be mitigated since the MetaInfo field is automatically included with all web-service results from the GetListItems method of the Lists web service. The resolution was to change the Title field and remove the offending character.