First Adventure into Web Components

Web components have been a topic of conversation for some time, but I had never had a reason to really take time to explore building an application using them. There are many different reasons, with the biggest one being that many of the projects I have been working on utilize some of the big component libraries like Kendo or DevExpress.  Continue reading “First Adventure into Web Components”

Advertisements

Handlebars + JSLink

First, I want to apologize for such a long silence. Project work and life in general has kept me very busy over the last year, so it has been difficult to find a time to write new content.

This article describes a specific scenario I experienced as part of my standard project work. It hasn’t been extended or tested for other scenarios (yet!). Handle with care.

Since the release of SharePoint 2013, I have been doing a lot of customizations utilizing JSLink on lists and list views. One of the things that I really do not like about JSLink is all of the string concatenation that tends to happen when building the output for your JSLink customization. It is not a huge challenge when you are working with a small template or limited output, but when you start working with complex HTML strings, it can be a bit unwieldy.
Continue reading “Handlebars + JSLink”

JS Link: Avoid Polluting the Global Namespace

Over the past few months I have been doing a lot of research around JavaScript frameworks and techniques as I am learning how to create SharePoint 2013/O365 Apps for clients. A recent project had a need to override the default view of a few columns. JS Link proved to be the easiest way to accomplish the changes, but every example that I found had all of the JavaScript functions placed squarely in the global namespace. One of the things that I find seems to be common among all of the books and articles I have read over the past three months clearly states that we should do our due diligence to keep the global namespace in JavaScript as clean as possible.

Continue reading “JS Link: Avoid Polluting the Global Namespace”

JSRender, SPServices and User Profiles

In a recent project I needed a way to quickly grab user profile information and include it in the context of a custom application for SharePoint. I decided that I wanted to make use of templating to render the HTML for the user profile, so this lead me to look up the various jQuery templating plug-ins. I was a bit disappointed to see that the Microsoft stubs have been abandoned as a lot of my initial searches returned examples using this plug-in.

However, I discovered a new templating engine that seems to be showing a lot of promise called JSRender. This provided some very simple semantics to create a reusable template. When coupled with SPServices and a little bit of creative code parsing, you can quickly declare reusable templates for client side scripts in SharePoint.
Continue reading “JSRender, SPServices and User Profiles”