Dev Notes

Notes on Development with Microsoft Technologies


Leave a comment

Relationships in PowerApps and the Common Data Model question…

Since I am unable to post comments directly to this page because Disqus is refusing to send a verification email, I am posting the question here and hope someone can provide answers.


I understand building relationships, but I need to be able to do more than use a relationship in a lookup. I need to be able to display related records from an entity based on a currently selected entity in a parent table.

For example, say I am building a work order tracking system for techs and customers. I have a work order entity and a work order history entity I would like to use. The work order tracks the original request from the customer while the history tracks the individual touch points a tech has made with the customer. I have a screen that displays the details of the work order. I want to be able to display the full history of the work order (and add more records) by going from the currently selected entity. This scenario is almost entirely missing, and in my opinion a much more common use of relationships in entities.

Are there plans to support related data in a much more comprehensive manner? If not, this could be a very limiting factor with using both the common data model and PowerApps since a lot of data structures make use of relationships to expose related data.


5 Comments

JS Link: Avoid Polluting the Global Namespace

Over the past few months I have been doing a lot of research around JavaScript frameworks and techniques as I am learning how to create SharePoint 2013/O365 Apps for clients. A recent project had a need to override the default view of a few columns. JS Link proved to be the easiest way to accomplish the changes, but every example that I found had all of the JavaScript functions placed squarely in the global namespace. One of the things that I find seems to be common among all of the books and articles I have read over the past three months clearly states that we should do our due diligence to keep the global namespace in JavaScript as clean as possible.

Continue reading


1 Comment

SharePoint TechFest Reference Application Build 1

I recently presented at the Dallas SharePoint TechFest on the topic of building HTML5 Apps for SharePoint 2013 using LightSwitch. This post is the first in a series of posts that further explains how the reference application reviewed during the session was built. The reference application is a mobile facing application used by remote service technicians to track and update logged work orders in a SharePoint issues list.

Continue reading


2 Comments

Add To Favorites in SharePoint

In a recent project, a co-worker described a scenario where users navigate to a site and review a handful of up to 30 or 40 reports/documents stored in the site. Each user visits the site on a periodic basis to review these various reports. My co-worker proposed allowing users to place links to the reports they need to review each period in a links library and then filter the default view to show links created by the current user. The client wanted to make it as easy as possible to add the report by including it as an option on the edit control block. In most cases, this would call for a farm solution that deploys a new ECB custom action. However, farm solutions are off limits — and this is a SharePoint 2007 environment so SPD custom actions are not available either.

Continue reading


26 Comments

jQuery Mobile and SharePoint

As an experiment, I decided to explore the use of jQuery mobile with SharePoint. My goal is to simply expose company news for as many mobile devices as possible in a single location. Like many organizations, our consulting firm delivers news internally via our intranet portal (based on SharePoint) and through public press releases available for anyone in the world.

Continue reading


2 Comments

Microsoft Access – Good for Prototyping?

Over the past few days, I’ve been intrigued by some of the creative solutions being offered via Microsoft Access and Access Services. This is an area that I had never really considered until I saw the following video:

In this short video, an Access solution is quickly demonstrated that made me wonder, how was this done? After sharing with my co-worker Ben McMann, we set off to find some ideas on how Access is being used. My first one lead me to the Access Team Blog:

Social Media Done Easy (Access Blog)

After a little more discovery, Ben gave me this link with some exceptional information:

The Access Show – Making Beautiful Access Web Applications

It looks like there are some real good examples of where Access can be used by Information Workers to create ad-hoc business solutions to solve some of their common day-to-day tasks. Now, it’s time to get Access Services configured on my Development Virtual Machine and start playing with some ideas!

 


9 Comments

Split Multi-Value Strings using XSLT

As I’m working with a client for presenting categories, I needed to build a quick and easy way to split multiple managed metadata strings into multiple hyperlinks so filters could be applied. The managed metadata is set to store multiple values — and they appear as follows:

Option 1; Option 2; Option 3; Continue reading